Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Little Flower Blossom, Geisha Mixed Media Painting, Gelli Print Background

Hello Everyone!

I think I've finally finished another of my Gelli print backgrounds to share with you. It's not always the easiest for me to decide when a painting is complete but I think this one is ready to be unveiled. I've been fascinated with Geisha for quite sometime now and recently found myself sketching and doodling different poses for them.

If you read the book 'Memoirs of a Geisha', you'll understand how my fascination with them increased even more after reading that awesome book. I was amazed that a man was the author as I felt he captured very well how it must have been to be female and one going through the rigorous training the Geisha went through. Theirs was not an easy life and to have the kind of discipline that was demanded of them is fascinating to me.



I've titled this painting 'Little Flower Blossom' and would love to know what the correct Japanese name for that name would be. If anyone reading can tell me, I'd be ever so grateful. I know that the Geisha would change their names as they grew in training and gained higher ranking. I think this Geisha would have loved the name I've given her. What do you think?  :)

Here is the Gelli print background before I started work on the painting.


And this is what it turned into - 

Little Flower Blossom
Mixed Media Painting
Finished Size 9 in. x 12 in.
Available Here with more views

As I said, the background was created on my Gelli plate and has other layers of acrylic paints added for interest. I started with a page from a gardening magazine and this painting ended up with only a slight hint of text peaking through after all the layers of acrylics were added. Little Flower Blossom is painted with acrylics, watercolor crayons and pencils, gouache, and graphite. I even added some collage elements of floral tissue paper for the flower designs on her kimono and then painted over them to enhance the design. The painting was then mounted on heavy and sturdy 140 lb Watercolor Paper.

I hope you enjoy another exercise of mine in figurative art using my Gelli prints for the background. I am really enjoying the challenge I've set myself lately and continue to create more people to share with you soon.

Blessings,
Itaya



12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey its me val I don't know if its right but its so pretty

Itaya Art said...

Thank you Val! Glad you like this painting. Thanks for dropping by. :)

Ophelia said...

I love what you have done!!! You have inspired me to pull out my plate and start playing!!!

Itaya Art said...

Thank you Ophelia! I hope you do pull out your Gelli plate and have lots of fun creating as I have. :)

marshaleith said...

very pretty!

Itaya Art said...

Thank you Marsha! :)

Lisa Graham Art said...

She is beautiful Itaya...elegant and beautiful!

Itaya Art said...

Thank you Lisa! :)

Katina said...

Loved the book: Memories of a Geisha! I couldn't believe a fellow wrote it to!!
Lovely prints!

Itaya Art said...

Thank you Katina! :)

Chris said...

Hi Itaya, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

Itaya Art said...

Thanks for stopping by Chris! I appreciate the kind words. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails